Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Date With Ducks

Yesterday we went with our play group to a small lake in Boulder City to feed the ducks. The weather was beautiful, what a perfect day to be out. Here is Mikayla facing the ducks once again. After our run-in with them in CA she has not had any desire to go and feed the ducks. I had to promise her that the ducks in Boulder City are small and nice and will stay in the water!! She was so sure that they would start chasing her like the big (and I mean BIG) ones did in CA. Luckily they did stay in the water and they seem to be more timid and definitely less aggressive.


Brayden could not get the hang of it at first, he did not understand that the bread was for the ducks and not for him. When he finally did decide to share, his throw was not strong enough to make it all the way to the ducks, so a whole bunch of bread pieces just floated along the rocks in front of us.




The hit of the afternoon was "hiking" up a little hill where a waterfall streamed down. I was a little nervous because Brayden was hanging over the rocks looking down into the water, and I could just see in my mind him somersaulting over the rocks into the water. So in the midst of all this peaceful serenity my loud voice kept shouting Brayden back up, Brayden don't run, Brayden don't get too close. Looking back I guess I could have "hiked" around with him, but where is the independence in that! Luckily we all left dry and in good spirits!
Now for the funny mommy story (I seem to have allot of those). The play date was suppose to end at the McDonald's in Boulder City, where we were going to have lunch and play. So we all get in the car and drive over there, even get out of the car to go inside. I could not find my wallet and finally came to the conclusion I left it at home, funny thing is I had my drivers licence in the console (good thing). Anyway, I suppose it's not too hard to imagine the reaction I got when I told Mikayla and Brayden to get back in the car. They were devastated!! I called my sis to tell her the story and she gratefully invited us over to play. So I guess you could say she saved the day, Mikayla was OK with going over to play with her favorite cuz!! Thank you Aunt Tammy!

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I'm so glad the ducks were calm and not crazy. Looks like you guys had a good day! Urgg...don't you hate those "mommy" stories! Always happen to me too!!

MelTheo said...

We went to Sunset Park once to feed the ducks and they were CRAZY there too! They chased the kids and were biting at them instead of the bread. Thank goodness Boulder City finally introduced the kids the nice, hungry ducks. :)